The Village of Cridersville may be small, but it does not think small when it comes to recreation. In a community that occupies less than a square mile, the village operates 32 acres of park land in four seperate facilities. Tower Park, named for the village water tower in it, is the largest park with four baseball fields, football field, open-air shelter house, playground, concession stand and the village recycling center.
The Hinkle Park is in the northwest corner of town. It was named for Clyde Hinkle who served as the village's mayor, police chief, school bus driver, maintenance superintendent, and Boy Scout leader.
Adjacent to the new elementary school on Reichelderfer Road, the village's newest park Delong Pioneer Park - is currently under construction. This 15-acre naturepark includes walking paths, shelter houses, a wetlands area with foot bridge, and an amphitheater. It is named for George Delong who purchased this property in 1835.
Town Pond and Phillips Nature Path
The town pond and Phillips Nature path are located near the center of town. The pond was constructed in the 1890's as Cridersville's Fire resivor. Today, it's a great place to fish. The nature path, adjacent to the pond, is a wooded area with a path and benches. The pond is also the location of the Ohio Historical Marker outlining the Big Fire of 1918, when downtown Cridersville was destroyed.
We are always looking for new members. If you are interested please come to a meeting or call Stacey Myers Cook at 419-645-5259 for more information.
It is also the site of the Lions Community Building, a year-round place for meetings, birthday parties and family reunions.
Johnny Appleseed Metropolitan Parks »
Allen & Auglaize Counties
The City of Wapakoneta maintains several parks, sports facilities and playgrounds around the city. Those parks include Belcher, Harmon, Riverwalk and Veterans Memorial Park.
Belcher Park is located behind the downtown area along the river. A new boat ramp was built in 2002 to provide easier access to the Auglaize River. It is home to the Farmer's Market on Saturdays, 9am when in season.
Harmon Park is across from the Wapakoneta Middle School, along the banks of the Auglaize River. The gazebo was dedicated in Spring 2004. It includes 4 tennis courts, 3 baseball fields, a playground, a wooded picnic area and the Wapakoneta Water Park outdoors swimming pool.
Riverwalk is the paved path linking the historical downtown area to the YMCA. It runs along the north bank of the Auglaize River, then north, near City Hall, connecting to the sidewalk at St Joseph School.
Veteran's Memorial Park provides picnic shelters, a 1-mile walking track and physical challenges, baseball fields, basketball courts, a playground and skateboard ramps.
Grand Lake St. Marys
Grand Lake St. Marys lies along one of the countrys major migration routes. Water birds using the lake as a resting stop include Canada geese, ducks, grebes, swans, egrets, loons, herons, cormorants and ospreys. Many ducks, geese and heron also nest here. Bald eagles, magnificent birds long absent from the area, have again nested on the southwest corner of the lake at the wildlife refuge. Other animals of the park include fox squirrel, mink, raccoon, beaver, coyote, white-tailed deer and many others.